Using meshed services in Ingress, IngressRoute or ServiceMonitor resources

Hello,
I understand how to use the meshed services via dns names (servicename.namespace.maesh).

How can I ensure that resources like Ingress, IngressRoute from Traefik or ServiceMonitor from Prometheus Operator use the meshed service? In all of these resources the service is addressed via service name (and namespace) not dns name.

Thank you and best regards,
Michael

Hi @mpasdziernik,

Thanks for you interest in Maesh :smiley:

You're right! In Ingress and IngressRoute resources, you have to reference services by name and namespace, not by DNS name.

Under the hood, Maesh uses Kubernetes services called shadow services which allow to forward a request through mesh proxies to your service pods when the meshed DNS name is requested.

If you want to forward an Ingress request to the meshed service you have to reference the shadow services in the Ingress or IngressRoute. These services are created in the namespace where Maesh was installed in and have the following name #{maesh.namespace}-#{meshedService.name}-6d61657368-#{meshedService.namespace}.

Please keep in mind that we're planning to work on that subject and as it's not part of our public API it is subject to change between Maesh versions.

If I'm not wrong, in ServiceMonitor you have to use labels to indicate which pods would be scrapped by Prometheus. So, here nothing special to do as you probably want to monitor your service pods and not the mesh proxies.

Makes sense?

Hope this helps!

Hi @kevinpollet

First off, thanks for the work on Maesh, it's nice run a mesh without sidecars!

I have been having a hard time setting the Ingress to the shadow service when trying out on a local Minikube setup. When using just the server service, I get the expected output, when I change to the default-server-6d61657368-default shadow service I get '404 page not found'. Service to service communication works as expected.

Am I doing anything wrong?

I'm using Minikube 1.13 running Kubernetes 1.19 using the default ingress add-on (nginx). Maesh is installed from Helm as documented. Here's the full config:

apiVersion: apps/v1
kind: Deployment
metadata:
  name: server
  labels:
    app: server
spec:
  replicas: 1
  selector:
    matchLabels:
  template:
    metadata:
      labels:
    spec:
      containers:
        - name: server
          image: traefik/whoami:v1.6.0
          ports:
            - containerPort: 80
---
kind: Service
apiVersion: v1
metadata:
  name: server
spec:
  selector:
  ports:
    - name: web
      protocol: TCP
      port: 80
      targetPort: 80
---
apiVersion: networking.k8s.io/v1
kind: Ingress
metadata:
  name: example-ingress
  annotations:
    nginx.ingress.kubernetes.io/rewrite-target: /$1
spec:
  rules:
    - host: server
      http:
        paths:
          - path: /
            pathType: Prefix
            backend:
              service:
                name: default-server-6d61657368-default
                port:
                  number: 80

Thanks,

Hello @ondrej,

Thanks for your interest in Traefik Mesh!

After thinking a bit more on the subject, as you can see in the issue answers, I've missed that an Ingress can only reference a Service in the same namespace. So, you're not doing something wrong, I think the issue is that the shadow service is not in the namespace of your Ingress.

Does it make sense?

Thanks for the blazing fast response @kevinpollet!

Indeed the Ingress add-on is in the kube-system namespace by default. I've replaced it with the standard Nginx Ingress and deployed to the default namespace. Unfortunately this didn't seem to have any effect, the call to the ingress still returns a '404 page not found' from the default-server-6d61657368-default shadow service.

Is that anything else that is required for the Ingress link to work? Does the hostname have to match the shadow service name? Or do even the Kubernetes internals (i.e. the DNS server) have to be in the same namespace as the shadow services perhaps?

These are all the resources in the local cluster:

$ kubectl get all --all-namespaces
NAMESPACE     NAME                                            READY   STATUS      RESTARTS   AGE
default       pod/grafana-core-7548464597-v67sb               1/1     Running     0          12m
default       pod/ingress-nginx-admission-create-864fc        0/1     Completed   0          15m
default       pod/ingress-nginx-admission-patch-kblvf         0/1     Completed   2          15m
default       pod/ingress-nginx-controller-785557f9c9-7rwbs   1/1     Running     0          15m
default       pod/jaeger-88f8559f8-fzcnb                      1/1     Running     0          12m
default       pod/prometheus-core-8557bc7d97-vxtxf            2/2     Running     0          12m
default       pod/server-cf9fbc6cb-z9h7c                      1/1     Running     0          15m
default       pod/traefik-mesh-controller-66bf55f769-4znxm    1/1     Running     0          12m
default       pod/traefik-mesh-proxy-c2wkw                    1/1     Running     0          12m
kube-system   pod/coredns-6f66656dc8-6v7gc                    1/1     Running     0          12m
kube-system   pod/etcd-minikube                               1/1     Running     0          16m
kube-system   pod/kube-apiserver-minikube                     1/1     Running     0          16m
kube-system   pod/kube-controller-manager-minikube            1/1     Running     0          16m
kube-system   pod/kube-proxy-5gtbk                            1/1     Running     0          16m
kube-system   pod/kube-scheduler-minikube                     1/1     Running     0          16m
kube-system   pod/storage-provisioner                         1/1     Running     0          16m

NAMESPACE     NAME                                                                    TYPE        CLUSTER-IP       EXTERNAL-IP   PORT(S)                               AGE
default       service/default-ingress-nginx-controller-6d61657368-default             ClusterIP   10.108.241.165   <none>        80/TCP,443/TCP                        12m
default       service/default-ingress-nginx-controller-admission-6d61657368-default   ClusterIP   10.98.227.74     <none>        443/TCP                               12m
default       service/default-server-6d61657368-default                               ClusterIP   10.97.163.179    <none>        80/TCP                                12m
default       service/grafana                                                         ClusterIP   10.100.103.115   <none>        3000/TCP                              12m
default       service/ingress-nginx-controller                                        NodePort    10.96.218.148    <none>        80:31443/TCP,443:31593/TCP            15m
default       service/ingress-nginx-controller-admission                              ClusterIP   10.97.89.90      <none>        443/TCP                               15m
default       service/jaeger-agent                                                    ClusterIP   None             <none>        5775/UDP,6831/UDP,6832/UDP,5778/TCP   12m
default       service/jaeger-collector                                                ClusterIP   10.110.174.160   <none>        14267/TCP,14268/TCP,9411/TCP          12m
default       service/jaeger-query                                                    ClusterIP   10.101.220.157   <none>        16686/TCP                             12m
default       service/kubernetes                                                      ClusterIP   10.96.0.1        <none>        443/TCP                               16m
default       service/prometheus                                                      ClusterIP   10.98.7.254      <none>        9090/TCP                              12m
default       service/server                                                          ClusterIP   10.105.242.67    <none>        80/TCP                                15m
default       service/traefik-mesh-controller                                         ClusterIP   10.102.77.232    <none>        9000/TCP                              12m
default       service/zipkin                                                          ClusterIP   None             <none>        9411/TCP                              12m
kube-system   service/kube-dns                                                        ClusterIP   10.96.0.10       <none>        53/UDP,53/TCP,9153/TCP                16m

NAMESPACE     NAME                                DESIRED   CURRENT   READY   UP-TO-DATE   AVAILABLE   NODE SELECTOR            AGE
default       daemonset.apps/traefik-mesh-proxy   1         1         1       1            1           <none>                   12m
kube-system   daemonset.apps/kube-proxy           1         1         1       1            1           kubernetes.io/os=linux   16m

NAMESPACE     NAME                                       READY   UP-TO-DATE   AVAILABLE   AGE
default       deployment.apps/grafana-core               1/1     1            1           12m
default       deployment.apps/ingress-nginx-controller   1/1     1            1           15m
default       deployment.apps/jaeger                     1/1     1            1           12m
default       deployment.apps/prometheus-core            1/1     1            1           12m
default       deployment.apps/server                     1/1     1            1           15m
default       deployment.apps/traefik-mesh-controller    1/1     1            1           12m
kube-system   deployment.apps/coredns                    1/1     1            1           16m

NAMESPACE     NAME                                                  DESIRED   CURRENT   READY   AGE
default       replicaset.apps/grafana-core-7548464597               1         1         1       12m
default       replicaset.apps/ingress-nginx-controller-785557f9c9   1         1         1       15m
default       replicaset.apps/jaeger-88f8559f8                      1         1         1       12m
default       replicaset.apps/prometheus-core-8557bc7d97            1         1         1       12m
default       replicaset.apps/server-cf9fbc6cb                      1         1         1       15m
default       replicaset.apps/traefik-mesh-controller-66bf55f769    1         1         1       12m
kube-system   replicaset.apps/coredns-6f66656dc8                    1         1         1       12m
kube-system   replicaset.apps/coredns-f9fd979d6                     0         0         0       16m

NAMESPACE   NAME                                       COMPLETIONS   DURATION   AGE
default     job.batch/ingress-nginx-admission-create   1/1           10s        15m
default     job.batch/ingress-nginx-admission-patch    1/1           22s        15m

Hello @ondrej,

I've just tried to achieve what you want with Traefik as an Ingress Controller. As I said only the created Ingress resource needs to be in the namespace of the shadow service and you were right the hostname must match the DNS name of the service which is not ideal.

Here is my Ingress resource configuration for a whoami service which is in the default namespace:

---
apiVersion: networking.k8s.io/v1
kind: Ingress
metadata:
  name: whoami
spec:
  rules:
    - host: whoami.default.traefik.mesh
      http:
        paths:
          - path: /
            pathType: Prefix
            backend:
              service:
                name: default-whoami-6d61657368-default
                port:
                  number: 80

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the clarification @kevinpollet! I got it working now that I changed the Ingress host to the DNS name of the service.